Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Day of School

Today was the first day of school at Iron Springs Elementary. I have to say it went very well. I helped out a lot on the side and actually felt like I was needed and most of all wanted. (Which sometimes you don't get that feeling from teachers. They usually have their own way of doing things and they don't want you in their way). So overall, I enjoyed it. Plus, I was asked to bring in a few items that told about me and the kids loved my collection of Disney things. (We totally connected there) Haha. I was also asked earlier this week to read aloud a story after lunch....I was a little scared at first but she let me take the book home to read through it first. Good thing she did, because I am scared to death to read aloud...(yeah, I know...and I want to be a teacher? What was I thinking?) ....I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that I was in special ed up until high school and even had an IEP. I was just always behind and reading (or any subject for that matter) I just sucked at. BUT GUESS WHAT!? I read the story aloud to the class and I thought I did great! I didn't even let my body get nervous or all sweaty! :0) I really was proud of myself. (I know...what a big accomplishment right?) No....it really was for me. (I will admit....I practiced a lot at home with Daisy but who cares...I did it!).
Overall, as much as I liked and enjoyed the day and had a great mentor teacher to watch....I really don't think I could ever teach 2nd grade. There is WAY too much repeating of yourself, and a TON of every tiny little procedures that they need to know all by the first day. From raising your hand, where the pencil sharpener is, where to line up, turn in work, what to do next, bathroom/drink breaks...and still a lot of kids who still can't tie their own shoes. Not to mention a very very annoying pet peeve......"teacher, teacher, teacher!"....."UGH! My name is Mrs. Rees!" haha. Dumb I know...but picture hearing it a thousands times a day from 25 different students in a whinning voice. Yuck.
Still it was a great first day and maybe tomorrow my feet wont hurt as much. :)
*I meant to take a picture of me and my first day but I forgot AND Caleb was gone so I didn't have anyone to take it....maybe next week. (Always need a picture of the first day of school, right!?)

5 comments:

Liz Prisbrey said...

It sounds like it went great! What grade do you want to teach??

Caleb and Diane said...

I want to teach 4th Grade.

Potters said...

I'm happy it went well. I am sorry we didn't make it down there before school started. I can't wait to see pictures of your little one.

Potters said...

Diane! Have you had your little one yet? I hope all is well. :) Miss you!

Potters said...

I just looked at Liz's blog and you had your baby. She is adorable. Congrats. I hope I can come down to see her sometime :)